How It Works
Each challenge includes:
- All the assets you need to get started, including a Figma design file (if you don't have a Figma account, don't worry it's FREE)
- A brief on how to get started, with ideas to test yourself, and FAQs.
complete the challenge
Complete the challenge on your own, or refer to the (paid) tutorial and final coded solution.
share your success
When you’re finished call you mom! Tweet about it! Stick your code on GitHub. Post a picture on Instagram. Talk about it on Facebook. Use the hashtag #monthlycss.
Who is this for?
These challenges are perfect for beginner to intermediate developers (or designers) who want to become more comfortable with their CSS styling skills.
Before accepting this challenge, you really should know basic HTML and CSS.
You learn best through implementation. Once you’ve applied your knowledge to a specific project, learning concepts are solidified.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do the tutorials expire? Is there a monthly cost?
When you register,
You have lifetime access. As long as the product is alive, you can access it. There is no monthly cost. In fact, there’s no cost at all!
Ahh! Help!! I lost my welcome email.
No worries! Please email support support[at]monthlyjs.com.
Also, all the content is hosted on Podia. Try logging in there.. If you don’t or don’t remember your username and password, you should be able to click on the “Forgot my password” link to reset your credentials.
I have a question, can I email you?
Certainly! The best place to reach me is support[at]monthlyjs.com.
Can I stream these or arrange a viewing party?
Absolutely. Our intent with this project is that it would be a fun way to learn together.
Can I redistribute these and charge money for them?
Do not take what we’ve created and resell it. The challenges are free and the money that we’re charging for the solutions is one small way we’re trying to recoup the sweat equity we’ve put into this project.
I found a typo or a bug.
Yikes! Please let us know at support[at]monthlyjs.com
Can I put the code on GitHub? Can I include these challenges in my portfolio? Can I blog about this?
Feel free to put your code on GitHub. But, if you’ve paid for the solutions, do not put our code on GitHub.
You can include these challenges within your portfolio, but be honest about your contributions.
I’d love for you to write about how you solved the problem. There’s no better way to learn! Please tweet about it and tag us! #monthyjs, especially if you solved the challenge differently than we did.
What font / color scheme / editor / terminal is that?
I use the font Dank Mono. It costs ~$32 USD. But, I like it because it has ligatures specific for coding. If you’re looking for something free, Fira Code is a great alternative, with a lot of the same features.
What tools do you use?
I work off a 2021 M1 MacBook Pro and love it. 😍
For design work, I use Figma.
What if I hate this?
I certainly hope that’s not the case, but this is also FREE. Feel free to unsubscribe and/or delete your account on Podia at any time.
What other courses and challenges do you have?
Thanks for asking! If you haven’t already, check out Monthly JS — it’s FREE too!
- Everything Svelte - everything you ever wanted to know (and then some) about SvelteKit.
- Learn with Redwood - Go frontend to full stack, building an application on the latest and greatest web technologies: React, TypeScript, Prisma, Storybook, Jest, and GraphQL
We also have some other irons in the fire for 2023. Feel free to visit the landing pages and express your interest. – That helps gauge interest:
- 100 Days of Code - if you love coding challenges and a way to practice dev every day, this is 100 days challenges
- Projects for Developers - everyone says that the easiest way to learn how to code and level up your development skills is to build something. But, what do you build? not to mention design?! This project contains all the design work, project stories and specifications for you to build a full-stack application.
- Starter Kit Design - Not sure where to start? This kit will have everything you need to start running design sprints, project discovery, and design projects.
- App from Scratch - Build a web application from start to finish — without all the overwhelm. In the past, I’ve learned the most when I’ve gotten real-world experience by looking over someone else’s shoulder. In this course, I invite you to look over mine. We’ll look at the application’s entire life cycle: validating your app idea, discovery, design, project management, frontend, and backend development, testing, and launching. — All in one place.
Also, find me elsewhere online:
What format are your tutorials and challenges in?
Each month, you’ll receive 2 emails from me.
- The first email will be delivered the first week of each month, with a challenge inside. The challenge will be written out and links to all assets you need to get started.
- The second email will be delivered two weeks later, with a link the solution. This will be a recorded video and include the final code.
When you sign-up, you’ll also receive an email from Podia. This is where we’re hosting all the content and where you’ll have lifetime access. You might need to check your spam. This should come from an email address ending in @e.podia.com.